NEARR is a non-profit, 501c(3) charitable, all-volunteer group that
re-homes retrievers in the North East. We accept purebred and mixed
Labrador, Golden, Chesapeake Bay, Flat-Coated, Curly-Coated and Nova
Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. All of our dogs live in NEARR-approved
foster homes while awaiting their forever homes. We do not have a central
The purpose of
North East All Retriever Rescue is to:
- Rescue retrievers and retriever mixes from situations which endanger
the well-being or welfare of these dogs. The term "retrievers" includes
Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers,
Curly-Coated Retrievers, Flat-Coated Retrievers and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers.
- Accept retrievers and retriever mixes surrendered by owners who can
no longer keep or care for the dogs appropriately, and from animal shelters
as strays or owner surrenders (all upon temperament testing).
- Place said retrievers and retriever mixes into loving homes.
- Serve as a liaison agency for breed-specific retriever rescue groups
in the North East states.
- Educate the public regarding NEARR and regarding the problem of pet
overpopulation and ways to prevent it.
- The organization shall not be conducted for profit and no part of
any profits or remainders or residues from any donation to the
organization shall inure to the benefit of any individual.
Areas We Cover
Currently, NEARR adopts dogs to applicants located in the following states:
- Massachusetts: All counties excluding Martha's Vineyard
- New Hampshire: Merrimack, Rockingham, Sullivan, Cheshire, Strafford and Hillsborough counties only
- Vermont: Bennington, Rutland, Windham, Windsor counties only
- Maine: York and Cumberland counties only
- Rhode Island: All counties excluding Block Island
- Connecticut: Hartford, Windham, New London, and Tolland counties only
10 Quick Facts About NEARR
- Our primary purpose is to re-home neglected or
abandoned retrievers in safe and loving environments.
- We do not have a shelter for potential adopters
to visit. All of our dogs are placed into foster care prior to
- The majority of our dogs are between the ages
of 1 and 6 years. Most are male.
- It is rare that we have puppies in our rescue
and when we do they are not usually purebred.
- All of our dogs are temperament tested and
evaluated for suitability and re-homing potential.
- NEARR is made up entirely of volunteers who all share a love for retrievers. We do not receive any payment for
our time - we all work full time and "do rescue" after hours.
- We have been in existence since February of
2000, and have successfully re-homed over 300 dogs.
- We accept mixes as well as purebreds.
- Many of our dogs do not have formal obedience
training - which is why it is part of our adoption contract.
- The majority of dogs who come through our program are Labradors and Labrador mixes.
Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue is a
wonderful organization who is able to assist the majority of Golden
Retrievers in need in the Northeast.
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue is also very active in
re-homing their breed.