Hello! I’d like to keep this brief, but I have so much to tell you that it just isn’t going to happen!
1. Our ride home with our “new baby” was three and a half hours long due to horrendous traffic! We stopped 3 times to let Tru out for the bathroom and just to break up the ride.
2. We decided to change her name since she is starting a new life, we want to drop all associations she may have with that name. Her new name is “Libby.” She learned it by the end of the first day and really seems to like it!
3. Once home, we noticed the same day that she was urinating frequently, but attributed it to the stress/anxiety of the change. Also on that second day, her eyes started to redden and got progressively worse with “goop” dripping all over her face. A trip to the vet confirmed our suspicions . . . she had an eye infection and a urinary tract infection! She is now on meds and the up-side of this it that she didn’t even know she was sick! She and Jessi have been playing/running hard for a week. The only time they stop is when they are completely exhausted and fall asleep on the spot! (You know the saying, “A tired puppy is a good puppy.) We now have two GREAT puppies!!
4. Libby thinks she is in Doggie Disneyland. I’m sure that she has never seen horses from the look on her face when we first got out of the car! She has
also discovered wild rabbits and turkeys, though she doesn’t have a chance at ever catching them! Because of our isolation and her incredible response to
“come”, she is able to run loose (but never unattended) with us in the yard every day. Just the freedom has done wonders for her wiggles.
5. We have signed up for the next dog obedience class which starts September 5. But we’re not waiting til then. Everything is a training opportunity: “sit”
before we throw the ball/frisbee, “down” before entering/exitting doors, “stay” as we put down food dishes, etc. She is making great progress for only a week and yet it’s amazing to see that our 15 month-old puppy is very well trained, as she waits for Libby to “get it.”
6. In summary, we love Tru/Libby! Thanks to all who helped make it happen. I promise the future updates will be short and sweet!